CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Auf Wiedersehen!

Not to be overly dramatic and emotional, but I just cleaned out my Jetta, in preparation for it being ripped to shreds, part by part by greedy auctioneers and farmers insurance personnel, and I feel strangely at a loss. Encountering weird high school memorabilia, like mix cd's, senior pictures of Matthew Winn, my softball glove, even my rear view mirror squirrel felt so strange, like I'd disturbed things that should have just been laid to rest with the Jetta. I know that getting new cars, trading them in, and the like is a somewhat common practice, but it's just kind of weird. Something I've seen almost every single day since I was 15 will be gone in the morning. I'll never ride in those horrifically stained cloth seats ever again. Today is the last day I'll lay eyes on the chipped black exterior and impossibly dull head lights of my 1999 Volkswagen.

Not to be nostalgic, but I remember the first time I drove it. I was still 15 and I was following my dad back to our house after picking it up from the car lot and I noticed that the breaks were much more sensitive than the first time I drove it. I was a little concerned, especially when I noticed the faint smell of burning rubber after I put the car in park. Very quickly my father had realized I forgot to release the emergency brake. Truth be told, I think that first encounter is extremely representative of our time together.

On the bright side, I'm all for fresh starts. Cars are strange. They take you places, physically and because I'm being sentimental, emotionally. I remember my 16th birthday driving to CiCi's during lunch with my first boyfriend and him showing me how to get gas for the first time. I remember driving to Haley's house after hitting a squirrel, bawling my eyes out and swearing I'd never drive again. I remember Abby bumping into the back of me on our way to lunch one day and laughing about it because she couldn't stop crying. I could probably go on, but I'm certain no one wants me to retell all of these beautiful moments. The point is, yes there is ALWAYS a point, I think I'm ready to let go. Good riddance Jetta. La Bufanda Milagra is ready to fill your not so reliable shoes.

0 comments: